English writing

meggi
28. apr 2007

Let´s write in English. I would like to improve my English. I have daughter Caroline, she is 7 month old. What will you do during this week-end?

kivec
9. okt 2008

Hi girls, it's lovely that this theme is again alive. 🙂 I've got a little bit of time now because my little Esther fell asleep quite early tonight.
And when I was pregnant, I used to sing to Esther few songs over and over again, and I sing them to her sometimes when she can't settle and cries. I've read it somewhere that it works, but I'm not so sure now. 😒 But at least it helps me, when I'm singing I have a good mood and I'm not so bothered when Esther cries.😀

etuska
9. okt 2008

Hi Kivec-lovely to see U here.Yeah, I do believe singing helps to overcome bad mood

kivec
9. okt 2008

Hello Etuska,
I've just visited the topic ,,Severne Irsko" and I've read that your last English lesson went well. I am pleased for you. And I had to laugh, because Karolinka welcomed me and she called me Krivec 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

etuska
9. okt 2008

🙂 that´s nice nickname-don´t you like it? 😀

norik1
9. okt 2008

Hi girls 😀

well I used to sing a lot but it wasnt directly for my baby - baby stuff and such things - it was singing for both of us...genre depended on my mood...oh and it was ONLY in English 😀

I used to talk to my baby but mostly in my thoughts - its not like Im a mother without feelings...& now I continue in singing with my baby and he loves it - yesterday for example he stopped crying only when he heard Kylie Minogue from my mobile (and when he saw his mother dancing around him with a dipper in her hand 😀 😀 )

kivec
9. okt 2008

I love it! 😉 😀

etuska
9. okt 2008

Hi Norik-was the dipper empty? 😀

kivec
9. okt 2008

What I wrote previously (I love it!) was regarding my ,,new nick name''.
Norik, your son has to have a lot of fun with you. 😀 Happy baby. 😉

etuska
9. okt 2008

Kives-I love Esther´s photo in which she is smiling and covered with "cheeky monkey blanket" 🙂

weroni
9. okt 2008

evening 🙂

etuska yes - and what about speaking in EN to child - I had decided to speak in English to my baby long before I had Ester. So now when we are alone - just two of us - I speak in English to her but when we are together with my husband I cant as he doesn´t speak EN 😠
I don´t have problems with finding it unnatural, I don´t know why, maybe because I used to do "English babysitting" - I took care of kids and spoke just in EN all the time 😉

weroni
9. okt 2008

kivec your little star is growing into beauty 🙂

etuska
9. okt 2008

weroni-that´s exactly what I feel.I thought it might be confusing for Miska,but I can see that it is not

mimi
9. okt 2008

hello, can I join you a little bit?

weroni, how are you? I have just looked at your pictures and Esther is so adorable 🙂

norik1
9. okt 2008

kivec...or his mother is just a little bit crazy? 😀

Etuska, dipper was empty...Filip loved it and laughed soooo much...and then he wanted that dipper but it was way too heavy for his little hand...

etuska
9. okt 2008

Hi Mimi.surely U can 🙂 Can U write sth. more about yourself?

weroni
9. okt 2008

norik you have just a little older child than me 🙂

mimi thanks 😵 yes, she is beautiful, I have simply fallen in love with her 😵

etuska
9. okt 2008

Norik-do you also speak English with your child?I was struggling a little bit with that theory:"one person-one language",but than I decided to do it my own way 😅

norik1
9. okt 2008

Yep, me too 🙂 but then I decided theories are here only to find new ones 😎 I dont think that if I speak to FIlip few minutes a day in EN, his psychic will suffer 😵

etuska
9. okt 2008

exactly 🙂

norik1
9. okt 2008

one never knows...maybe one day we will be authors of a new methodology for teaching the youngest 🙂

mimi
9. okt 2008

I have a baby boy, actually, he is not a baby anymore because he turned 2 few month ago.
Iam just trying to learn new phrasal verbs 😝

etuska, did you study English at university?

norik1
9. okt 2008

mimi how do you learn new phrasal verbs? old system like "go on= pokračovať"?

etuska
9. okt 2008

Mimi-yes. I did 🙂

norik1
9. okt 2008

Etus - how´s the weather?

mimi
9. okt 2008

norik, the way I do it is, I have some sentences and I have to choose the correct phrasal verb.

etuska
9. okt 2008

Norik-not so bad.It is raining now 😀 but during the day it is very changable-rainy,windy,sunny 🙂

weroni
9. okt 2008

what about "one person - one language" - I´ve also heard "one situation - one language" so you can never know what really is right...
What I really do think is that I shouldn´t turn from one language to another just without any "system" - it could puzzle her that´s why I speak to her just when being alone and as there are some periods of day when we are alone and suddenly our daddy arrives - then I simply must start talking in SK to her. But I try to do it like this: From one sleeping to another - one language, then if she falls asleep and awakes, I can start using the second language. I would find it strange to turn into the another language just like that 😕

Anyway, according to the stories of many friends who had children in bi or trilingual families, I think it shouldn´t make problems for kids - when they are talked in more than just one language. I have one friend whose cousin lives in Switzerland - she is married to a French man coming from Turkey originally and so her daughter (she is 3) speaks in SK to her mummy, in FR to her daddy, sometimes in EN with both parents as they communicate in EN mostly, and - finally - in Turkish with grandparents!!!!!!!!!! 😅
Simply - she takes the language you start talking to her in 😉

norik1
9. okt 2008

bleeee...I remember my old days hi hi... it was much "funnier" when I watched how my students did it 😀 😀 and how are you doing? which one is the worst?

weroni
9. okt 2008

norik are u a teacher? 🙂

norik1
9. okt 2008

used to be 😀 but maybe one day...