English speaking mums from anywhere in the world 🙂

watergeenie
29. sep 2010

Okaaaay ladies, here we go! 🙂

eaka
19. sep 2012

I am in Bratislava. We lived in the US for a while and I wanted my daughter to learn the language, but as we moved to Czech r. I stopped speaking English to her, as there was no one to teach her Slovak and I couldn´t stand the idea of my child not speaking Slovak. So we´re starting English again now that she started going to school.

felinda
19. sep 2012

I lived in ireland for a while and my son Felipe was only 18monthes old when we moved back to Martin... i really wanted him to speak english, but as we moved he had some kind of barrier or something...everybody used only our language and he was confused..he didnt want to speak at all...
so we didnt used english...but now he is almost 4, so im ready and he is as well.......i hope 😀

kuduaditsuh
20. sep 2012

I am an American living in Bratislava. Any Americans or locals who would like to meet in Kramare?

matul
21. sep 2012

@eaka just found your reply now, as you did not add my name with @ 😉 So that's interesting... you are both Slovaks then? And what is your plan - do you speak to her English only during the day?

matul
21. sep 2012

@felinda good luck then... we'll see how it goes with my little one...

matul
21. sep 2012

@kuduaditsuh Bratislava is a bit far for me, but I'd definately like to chat here if you like...

eaka
21. sep 2012

@matul oh I sooo did add your name with an @ 😉 because I only clicked "reply" 😀

@kuduaditsuh I would soo like to meet, but my kid is almost 7, they would hardly have anything in common with yours 😉

teleranka
24. sep 2012

@matul sorry for replying so late, i must have missed the notification. I speak to my LO exclusively in eglish. His dad too. My english is still not as good as I want it to be, but i think its getting better. Did u speak to olivia in ebglish since the very beginning?
If we get a chance to meet someday, we both can speak english to our LOs. What sre your friends saying about you talking to child in english? Do they support you? Is there anyone else speaking english to Olivia?

teleranka
24. sep 2012

@matul oh i forgot to say that also each toy speaks english with my kid 😉 that helps mainly during feeding 🙂

teleranka
24. sep 2012

@briketa i just re- read yr messages. They were so useful!! How are you?

matul
24. sep 2012

@teleranka hiya, no probs, I do miss on some notifications sometimes too... I must admit, I do not speak solely English to Olivia, I must improve... Her Dad is not as good at English as myself so we speak English together only once in a while, when we're talking about not very important stuff, but when discussing serious issues we always speak Slovak :-/ I MUST improve, I'd like her to love English as much as I do (and speak it)...

I have one couple that we're friends with and they are Slovak girl and Canadian man, but we don't visit very often... I'd like to meet with you, it will be good to speak English with someone else... I must say you're doing a great job when managing speaking English only to your LO.

What do your friends and family say to you about speaking English to your son??

When I first checked this topic, I noticed @briketa added some links for English songs, etc. but I cannot find it anymore... Could you guys please repost? Thanks a lot!!

makarion
24. sep 2012

@matul
@teleranka hi girls, thanx teleranka for liking me, it helped to notice sth is happening here..teleranka -where r u from? it is really great u r managing to speak to ur child english only..i try very hard i think but sometimes i use slovak words :( matul - i have noticed you are from Hrasovik..do you come to kosice often or not really? because i live in Furca which is quite near Hrasovik .. perhaps we could meet sometimes..how old is ur child? 🙂
do you know any native english-american speakers here in Kosice? i would love to meet some families like that

matul
24. sep 2012

@makarion Hi there, yes, I live close to Furca, I often go to nearby woods with a bike and my little one. Meeting is a good idea, but it would be quite a challenge to find something incommon for our children 🙂 My Olivia is 8 months old and hardly crawls yet 😉 I do know some english speaking foreigners but mostly without children...
Do you speak English to your children?

matul
24. sep 2012

@teleranka what toys do you have that speak English?

sharlotta
24. sep 2012

@kuduaditsuh I live in Petrzalka, but I often go to Zelezna Studienka with my daughter, so if you like, we can meet there sometime.

teleranka
24. sep 2012

@makarion
@matul
Hey girls. It would be great to meet up sometime as all of us live nin the same area. Honestly, im pretty shy when talking english to other people. But i find it soo natural when it comes to my baby boy.

teleranka
24. sep 2012

@matul haha of course none of his toys can speak. Im using different voices for every single toy. We are having lots of fun, cause there is always something funny that comes to my mind. Just like yesterday, babys favorite toy, Tigger (winnie the pooh) had suggested to trade eeyore's tail for some money so he (tigger) can bounce with my kid. Its kind of stupid i know. But tigger is bouncing on his tail and always "complain" about the fact that my baby boy doesnt have any tail. Now he found the way to buy him a tail from eeyore.
Tigger is also trying to convince my son to eat 😉

matul
24. sep 2012

@teleranka that's awesome!! you have quite an imagination!! 🙂

kuduaditsuh
28. sep 2012

Hey @matul. Sorry for not responding earlier. Thank you for your offer 🙂 I've been quite busy so I don't have much time to go online, but I'll keep you in mind 🙂

Hi @sharlotta 🙂 That would be great. It's a bit short notice, but how about next Sunday, some time in the afternoon?

@eaka I appreciate the thought anyway ;)

sharlotta
30. sep 2012

@kuduaditsuh I'm sorry, my mother-in-law is coming to visit us and she is staying till next Thursday so we can meet after that, if it's ok. 😉

eaka
4. okt 2012

Is there a mom from Bratislava with a first-second grader here? 🙂

sharlotta
6. okt 2012

@kuduaditsuh the plan has changed...she is leaving on Monday! 😉

nextik
6. okt 2012

Hi girls - For those living in Slovakia. Do you speak with your little one's in English or how are you teaching them? We have books and DVD's which my little one is interested in but when I try to speak to her she throws a tantrum. ☹ She really doesn't like it. I would like it to become natural to her - she'll thank me later when she doesn't have to learn it at school ... I think anyway. Any advice?

sharlotta
7. okt 2012

@nextik In my oppinion...we shouldn't teach our children English unless it's necessary (living in English speaking environment) There is a lot of time to start later, when they are prepared, and they understand the structure of their own (native) language. The ideal start to learn foreign or second language is around 10. When children start learning second language at the age of 10, they are still able to reach native like proficiency. So...I'm not going to teach my children English at all. I'll leave it to professional teachers or, ideally to the natives.

sharlotta
7. okt 2012

I strongly recommend a book from Lightbown and Spada "How languages are learned." 😉

sharlotta
7. okt 2012

@sharlotta by Lightbown and Spada... 😅

matul
15. okt 2012

@sharlotta I disagree, I think it will be very helpfull for my child to know some words already by the time she goes to kindergarden, plus I am a teacher, I used to teach English, so that means I am indeed a professional 😀

What is the mentioned book about, can you tell us roughly?

matul
15. okt 2012

@nextik how do you know your LO doesn't like English language?? that's funny... how old is she?

matul
23. okt 2012

@teleranka hey, I just came around these fantastic books in English - do you know any of them?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thats-Puppy-Usborne-Tou...

http://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Caterpillars-Finge...

teleranka
25. okt 2012

@matul I know the very hungry caterpillar 🙂
i would not go for any of them, though.

Tehotenský newsletter

Každý týždeň dostaneš najdôležitejšie info do e-mailu

Zisti viac o svojom tehotenstve: Tehotenstvo týždeň po týždni. Nepoznáš týždeň tehotenstva? Vypočítaj si ho v Tehotenskej kalkulačke.

Alebo si prečítaj, ako prebiehajú jednotlivé mesiace tehotenstva.
Modrý koník ti poradí v každom trimestri.
Zisti viac o prvom trimestri.
Zisti viac o druhom trimestri.
Zisti viac o treťom trimestri.
Ako sa zisťuje pohlavie dieťaťa?
Dôležité je absolvovať rôzne vyšetrenia v tehotenstve.
Oplatí sa absolvovať 3D ultrazvuk alebo 4D ultrazvuk?
A ako prebiehajú screeningy v 1. a v 2. trimestri?
Aké môžu nastať problémy v tehotenstve?

Nenašla si odpoveď na svoju otázku?Opýtaj sa vo fóre